HOOPALISTIC?

Fri Jun 30 15:12:04 UTC 2000

This from a recent article in my local newspaper:

"_Hoopalistic_ is that particular style of preaching with the hacking sound
following each sentence, used primarily by black preachers. It's also
referred to as a rhythmic cadence. That . . . style of preaching has its
roots in the sound made by black workers when they raise heavy sledgehammers,
etc. overhead and slam them down."

Any wisdom on this? I checked Geneva Smiterhman's TALKIN' THAT TALK and found
nothing about the hacking sound. However, I am dubious about this origin
story, in part because the "rhythmic cadence" is a practice of white
preachers as well.