Any of you *not* know another language?

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Jun 30 17:46:32 UTC 2000

"Bethany K. Dumas" wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, A. Vine wrote:
>
> >>Are there any of you who do *not* know a language other than English?
> Yet another snooty "my world is the only world" posting on another list,
> in case you were wondering.  But I'm also curious.<<<
>
> I don't understand. Are you claiming to be posting a snooty MWITOW item?
> It doesn't sound like you ...

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  There was a posting (from someone else) on another list
whether the collation should be the choice of the end user, which went as
follows:

  Of course, if an monolingual Anglophone wishes to see them all sorted
  according to English rules (what is the English rule for ñ?),
  I am (as I think I have said) not against it.  I am violently
  against systems that won't allow anything else.

  Provisions for i18n and l10n should not cater *solely* to the ignorance
  of monollinguals.

So, I recall some of the linguistics students in college not knowing other
languages.  And I was wondering if any of the linguists on this list fit that
profile.  Just because someone is monolingual, does not mean s/he is ignorant in
my books.  User preference is user preference.