entertaining dialect

Thu Mar 2 15:53:35 UTC 2000

In a message dated 3/2/2000 10:06:47 AM, bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU writes:

<< Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> My southern Ohio students think my Minnesota /o/ is a hoot [...]

...now there's an Athens & surrounding region form: "it's a hoot!"  DARE gives
hoot2 as related to Hutterites...does this generalized use of the term have
more
than regional use?

--db >>

I first heard this in the 1970s. I assumed it was gay male slang, though
maybe it was just a southernism. The guy I heard it from was both.