Figurative comparisons

Podhomutnikov Vitaliy ipfant at FANT.OMSK.SU
Sat Mar 4 16:11:12 UTC 2000

Now I am working on my research project in linguistics"The Category of Comparison in English and Russian" and really need some basic information concerning figurative comparisons, namely some local peculiarities in making that kind of comparative constructions by different social, ethnic groups etc. in the States (if there are any). I reckon there are such particularities, cos people have different backgrounds, cultures, folklore even in one and the same country and the sources of figurative comparisons may differ in a crucial way. So can anyone enlighten me? Will be very grateful!
         Vitaliy.