AAVE stressed BEEN interpretation

Mai Kuha mkuha at BSUVC.BSU.EDU
Mon Mar 6 16:40:40 UTC 2000

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> (...) However, don't give up on teaching AAVE in class!  (...)

Oh, absolutely. I hope I didn't sound too Eeyoresque; I'm just wondering
what learning objectives to aim for. I certainly agree with the ones
you've just articulated. As a practical matter, e.g. if the objective is
to make students aware that non-standard dialects are rule-governed, then
I shouldn't evaluate them as if the objective had been to be able to apply
in practice how BEEN works in AAVE.

-Mai
Mai Kuha                  mkuha at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Department of English     (765) 285-8410
Ball State University