List replies (was Re: cacha?a and OFF TOPIC)

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Wed Mar 8 22:21:17 UTC 2000

Victoria Neufeldt wrote:

> The ADS-L default setting doesn't work from my computer (or the
> Merriam-Webster server?)  I just discovered that my own name was in that
> line, instead of ADS-L.  The problem for the sender is that there is no way
> of knowing when you're typing up a reply to a posted message; there's no
> indication on the screen.  However, I discovered that I can specify a
> different "reply to" (it's in "Options" under the "View" menu in Microsoft
> Outlook 98) and it actually seems to work.  But I'm not sure if it's only a
> one-time thing or if I'm actually changing the default "reply to".  I'm
> trying it again with this posting.  We'll see.  (Sigh.  It's all so
> complicated for a semi-literate user like me.)

Reply-to behavior is different for different email clients.  In some clients,
you can set a permanent Reply-to address, in some, you can set it for an
individual message.  Are you saying that when you select "Reply," the
address(es) you're replying to are not displayed?  This is bad design.  In the
email clients I've used, the reply message displays the address(es) in a To:
(and Cc:) field along with the Subject and message body areas.

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
Guilty feet have got no rhythm.