(oh)~(o)

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri Mar 10 20:47:12 UTC 2000

        According to Labov's (1994) map, the merger of cot-caught is
pretty much the norm west of the Mississippi.  But, most of the studies
I've come across look at Pennsylvania and the surrounding regions.
        I would like to know if it is a merged vowel in the Phoenix area
(I'll settle for Tuscon).  I know there are a lot of snowbirds, er, people
from out-of-state in Arizona, but have they brought their children up with
the cot-caught distinction?
        Thanks,
                Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                  Departments of English Language and
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron       Theoretical & Applied  Linguistics

"MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
        --Death