"Macaroni" and more Spanish food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 11 17:45:13 UTC 2000

    Greetings from Santander, Spain.  I fly home tomorrow from Bilbao, by way of Frankfurt.
    Those who want to view my plagiarized work now on display in the Central Park Arsenal (This has given me agita the entire trip--I wish New York City would just kill me already) can check out:
www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dpr/html/arsenalart.html
www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dpr/html/dailyplant/dp030600.html
    I'll probably sent a certified letter to the New York Times Book Review about this tomorrow.  My last certified letter to the New York Times was an offer to give Kathleen Miller free ADS and ANS membership--I got no response.

MACARONI

   I passed by the famous Altamira caves.  I know the OED is concentrating on "M."  This is from the glossary of ALTAMIRA AND OTHER CANTABRIAN CAVES (1979) by Miguel Angel Garcia Guinea, pg. 190:

MACARONI (Snake-like scribbles)
Name given to the doodles made by prehistoric man on the soft clay of the walls and roof of caves.  Probably made with the fingers, they usually take the form of sinuous parallel lines meandering in various directions.

SPANISH FOOD

   "Santiago cake" should be in the OED; it was available everywhere in Santiago.  There's a sugar cross on top of the almond cake.
   "Cocktail" is used here, but sometimes it's "combinados."

CAFE CONDESA 36 (Leon)--offered Caipirinha, Bloody Mary, and San Francisco.  All three are very popular everywhere.  Coffees were Condes (cafe, ricard, pipermint, nata), Irlandes, Escoces (cafe, whisky, helado), Vienes, Bombon, Capuchino, Blano y Negro (cafe, helado de vainilla), Carajillo Especial (cafe, whisky, granos de cafe).

EKOLE CAFE (Leon)--San Francisco (pina, naranja, limon, granadina), Esperanza (pina, kiwi, lima), Eden (plantano, naranja, pina, limao) and Pina Colada (jarabe de coco, zumo de pina, leche) are without alcohol.  Coffees were Ekole, Irlandes, Jamaicano (Tia Maria, cafe nata), Cubana (ron), Mexicano (Kalua), Bombon, Cafe con Nata, Belmonte (cafe, leche condensa, brandy, canela), Carajillo (cafe, brandy, orujo, ron...quemados), Quemadillo (ron quemado, leche, canela), Cristal, Carajillo con nata, Vienes.  Drinks included Caipirinha, Pina Colada, Alexandra, Daiquiri, Whisky, Omanes, Cope de Cava, Mimosa, Bellini.

CAFE ROYALTY (Santander)--An English menu!  "In the Windows" is a ham and egg sandwich.  Havana Sandwich is ham, cheese, tuna, omelette, bacon.  California Sandwich is ham, omelette, lettuce, asparagus, mayonnaise, ketchup.

"PASTELERIA" (Astorga)-- Elephant Ears are sold everywhere, but called "Palmeras" (palm leaves).  This shop also had empinonadas (pine nut cake), almendrados, amarguillos (both almond stuff), ballos de chicharron, San Marcos, bambad de nata, lazos de mantequilla, rosquillas de Astorga, bollos de canela, dizcochos soletilla.

ZAPATA PASTELERIA & BOMBONERIA (Santander)--Palmeras (seca, chocolate, yema), herradura, caracola, nuris, vergana, gafas, tarrinas, christina crema, picolo crema, pastel peso, montaneses, bomba.

ISIDORE & DEMOCRACY

  Leon has a basillica to Saint Isidore.  There's a plaque from 1988 that Isidore established the first Democratic courts on 15 April 1188 and that the Leonese Magna Carta created the first Democracy, was the first Democratic document and the first Human Rights History.
  Weren't there Greeks who did this?