Monkey bread; Cloud Nine

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 13 03:42:57 UTC 2000

     Greetings from New York City.  Do you know why New York is called the
Big Apple?  It's short for "horse apple."  Excrement!  It's true!  I read it
on the internet!!!!
     My Peter Tamony photocopies arrived:

MONKEY BREAD--I don't know what the OED has.  My guess is that monkey bread
was made by someone who also made banana bread.  Tamony has the San Francisco
Examiner, 19 January 1966, pg. 18, "Not Monkey Business, Just Monkey Bread
Please."  Also, the SF Examiner, 25 April 1966, celebrity recipe, pg?,
"Mahalia's (Jackson--ed) Monkey Bread," has:
     For instance, Monkey Bread is not something you will find in common
books, or even uncommon ones.  Miss Jackson does not say where the name comes
from, though, as with so many old family recipes, perhaps this one has been a
traditional favorite for so long that its origin is lost, and it is called
"Monkey Bread" simply because that's what it's always been called.

CLOUD SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE--SF Examiner, 30 September 1953, Herb Caen, pg.
25, cols. 1-2, "a new jernt at Polk and Union; which he's calling, cutely
enough, Cloud Seven."  SF Examiner, 22 February 1952, pg. 9, cols. 1-5, Steve
Canyon cartoon, "Cloud number six is slowly drawing to the humble abode of
our heroine..."  SF Chronicle, 26 July 1953, pg. 1H, col. 7, "Bobo climbed
onto cloud number eight May 6, the night he pitched his no-hitter..."  SF
News, 2 July 1954, pg. 17, cols. 1-2, "The Giants and their fans sailed up
onto 'Cloud Eight'--to use Manager Leo Durocher's term..."  Capitol News
(Hollywood), July 1950, pg. 12, cols. 2-3, "...writes 'way up on Cloud 79..."
 SF News, 30 May 1952, pg. 9, cols. 1-2, "If we could talk today with the
boys up on Cloud No. 9..."  SF Call-Bulletin, 10 December 1953, pg. 25,
caption, honeymooners "are patently on Cloud No. 9 as they wave to
friends..."  SF Examiner, 23 September 1951, pg. 34, col. 5, "...rode around
on cloud nine for a few minutes..."