Occam's tools (was Halls of ivy)

Mon Mar 13 15:27:19 UTC 2000

In a message dated 3/12/2000 9:48:54 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

<< A more positive spin is that humans love explanations, especially elegant
ones-- even incorrect or unsubstantiated elegant ones.  I'm not sure it's
necessarily paranoia; I see it as stemming from the same impulse that leads
to mythological and, dare I say, religious "explanation" of the otherwise
inexplicable.  It's an instance of the general human impulse to try to
rationalize the (apparently) irrational, or to access the inaccessible
(inaccessible, at least, if one doesn't have the relevant training in the
relevant science). >>

Sort of like Sapir's notion of "drift"?