Sorting by Case

Michael Horlick michael at RFA.ORG
Mon Mar 13 20:47:13 UTC 2000

           michael at rfa.org
=======================================

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of A. Vine
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 3:03 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Sorting - case

All,

There is a debate on the Unicode list about what is normal (expected) sort
order
in English - lowercase then uppercase, or uppercase then lowercase?  For
example, is it August, then august?  Or polish, then Polish?

Cites differ from Oxford press, Websters, and Merriam Webster.  Please leave
the
word chronology and parts of speech out - consider only the word as written.

Thanks for any info,
Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect