Narratophilia

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Tue Mar 14 10:32:34 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: AAllan at AOL.COM <AAllan at AOL.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Monday, March 13, 2000 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Sorting by Case

><< Unicode did not choose the positions of A-Z vs. a-z, they were adopted
>indirectly from ASCII.  Why
>those positions are where they are in ASCII is unknown to me >>
>
>I'm no computer maven, but I'm long enough in the tooth to remember when
the
>only alphabetical letters available on computers were CAPS, so perhaps
that's
>why ASCII starts with them. - Allan Metcalf

That would be too simple. Surely it derives from wartime conservation of
ink, when they would print the capital letters first, to ensure that they
wouldn't run out of ink while they were trying to print the lower case
letters....

And who is this Occam guy, and why does he want me to borrow his razor?

bkd