K.I.S.S. & cookbooks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 14 12:37:10 UTC 2000

K.I.S.S.

    K.I.S.S. is recorded everywhere as "Keep It Simple, Stupid."  I had found
(and posted) a 1960s citation from Sports Illustrated.

RHHDAS--"Orig. _Mil._ keep it simple, stupid!  _Joc._"  Eight citations
follow, all with Keep It Simple Stupid.

Tony Thorne's DICTIONARY OF CONTEMPORARY SLANG--"'keep it simple, stupid!',
avoid unnecessary complications.  A business catchphrase pronounced like the
word 'kiss'', when giving an instruction or citing a principle.  The
expression originated in American computer jargon."

CASSELL'S DICTIONARY OF SLANG--"(1960s+ )(orig. US) keep it simple stupid
(abbr. milit. usage, later general, also popular in drug rehabilitatrion
circles."

     If it's military, where are the citations?  I was going through
cookbooks and found this:

Ruth Brent, THE KEEP IT SHORT & SIMPLE COOKBOOK (1972).
RUTH BRENT, THE KEEP IT SHORT & SIMPLE PARTY MENU BOOK (1974).
Bill Hibbing, KEEP IT SHORT AND SIMPLE (1982).
Bea Peterson, KISS BASEBALL: KEEP IT SHORT AND SIMPLE (1996).
Edith Ferns, LET'S COOK & KISS: KEEP IT SHORT AND SIMPLE (1997).

    Keep It Short and Simple!  Not recorded!  Other ProQuest cites:

   TRAINING, Sept. 1980, pg. 89--The "Keep It Short and Simple" principle
applies to surveys.
   BANK MARKETING, Aug. 1983--Ad Techniques--K.I.S.S. & Tell...Copy writers
do this through KISS: Kepp It Short and Simple.
   TRANSACTIONS OF AACE INTERNATIONAL, 1996--KISS--Keep it short and simple.
   CREDIT CONTROL, 1996, pg. 8--So, the KISS principles must apply: "Keep it
short and simple."
   INDUSTRIAL DISTRIBUTION, Jan. 1997, pg. 48--...remember the "KISS"
principle: Keep It Short and Simple."
   FBI LAW ENFORCEMENT BULLETIN, Dec. 1997, pg. 8--They should use the KISS
principle for survey questions: keep it short and simple.

COOKBOOKS (continued)

   NYU is on intersession hours this week.  I hate this!
   Briefly:

CUBAN SANDWICH--EVERY WOMAN'S COOK BOOK (1926) by Mrs. Chas. F. Moritz, pg.
588.

   Time to go to work.