"posh"

GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA
Tue Mar 14 19:38:07 UTC 2000

Nobody has as yet come up with the supposed French etymology for "posh" which
I was told at some time in my youth: French suits for men were at one point
the latest fashion, and these French suits had "poches." now I can't imagine
that English suits were pocketless, but maybe the French tailors went in for
patch pockets, or something of the sort. Or maybe one of my French teachers
(i.e. teachers of French - native French teachers were thin on the ground in
Ontario in my school days) just had a vivid imagination....

Barbara Harris.