THE CATERER (1882-1887)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 19 00:30:52 UTC 2000

    THE CATERER AND HOUSEHOLD MAGAZINE (1882-1887) looks like it's well worth
reading.  I didn't have much time today because I had to see the family tax
accountant and watch some basketball (that would be fifth grade girls
basketball).

SADDLED DONKIES--November 1882, pg. 68, col. 1:
   Now I don't believe you ever heard of eating "saddled donkies," and that,
too, by an invalid!  Well, here's the receipt how to prepare SADDLED DONKIES.
 Have a dozen choice "Maurice River Coves" (the best oyster for cooking in
the world) neatly opened (free from bits of shell), dry them a few minutes in
a napkin, then have a dozen small, tasteless wooden splints (used as
skewers), then cut some _very thin_ slices of bacon about one inch wide, and
long enough to wrap around each oyster, then pin the bacon saddle on the
oyster with one of the splints, after this, place in the bottom of a little
oval tin pan two rashers of bacon (delicate ones); place pan in hot oven;
when the bacon is melted, take the rashers out and place the "donkies" in the
hot "sizzling;" six or seven minutes will cook them; serve in the dish...

FRANKFORT SAUSAGES--February 1883, pg. 209, col. 2, "Schindler's celebrated
Frankfort sausages."  The MOA database has "Frankfort sausage" in Vanity Fair
in 1861 and "Vienna sausage" in 1871.

ZWIEBACK--February 1883, pg. 210, col. 1, "With this exquisite beverage have
some of the Vienna zwieback."

HAMBURG STEAK--October 1883, pg. 76, col. 1, "I should like a recipe for
'Hamburger steak,' a dish I am very fond of, but I must confess have not been
successful in preparing."  From column 2:
     BROILED HAMBURG STEAKS.
     Or, instead of frying, place your steaks upon a gridiron or double wire
broiler, well greased, and broil them on both sides; place them on a hot
dish, and pour over them melted butter seasoned with salt and cayenne pepper.
 This mixture of meat is also often spread upon slices of bread, with butter
in which a spoonful of dry mustard has been mixed, and used as a sandwich, or
it may be served raw and cold with slices of Vienna bread spread with
gilt-edged butter.
(A Hamburger Sandwich!  In 1883!!--ed.)

NANTUCKET CHOWDERS--August 1884, pg. 452.  A poem in column two is "Chowder,"
with the footnote "Coofs, in Nantucket parlance, 'off islanders'--strangers
from the mainland."