Missionary position; Frisco speedball

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 20 03:52:02 UTC 2000

    Greetings from the NYU Bobst Library, where I will now do the missionary position.  I've been wanting to do the missionary position at NYU for some time.
    OED (which is starting in the middle at "M" for its revision) has 1969.  This is from PLAYBOY, The Playboy Advisor, September 1968, pg. 69 (That's the page!  I didn't make it up!), col. 1:

In _The Playboy Advisor_, a reader referred in passing to performing sex in the "missionary position."  I pride myself on having at least an average imagination: but after several months, my curiousity has reached the point where I have to know for sure.  What _is_ the missionary position?--R. B., Washington, D. C.  (I thought Washington _invented_ the missionary position.  Rim shot, please--ed.)
     The answer, we're afraid, is going to be a letdown, compared with what your imagination might have conjured up.  The missionary position is simple the most common one, in which the woman lies on her back, with the man above her.  The term originated as a scornful joke among the Polynesians, who were vastly amused when the early missionaries told them that this coital position was the only "proper" one.

Recently I was offered a "Frisco speedball" (Not in RHHDAS--ed.) at a pot party.  Not knowing what it was, I just played it cool and said, "No thanks, man, I'm flying high already."  In case the opportunity presents itself again, however, would you let me in on the secret: What's a Frisco speedball?--E. V., Cincinnati, Ohio.
     Heroin and cocaine mixed 50-50, with a dash of LSD for booster.  It's a bummer; steer clear.

     "The Playboy Advisor" doesn't do a great deal of etymology, but the May 1968, pg. 53, col. 1, question and answer will incorrectly tell you that "hooker" comes from Joseph "Fighting Joe" Hooker of the U.S. Army.