the Big Apple

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Mon Mar 20 17:27:05 UTC 2000

That was an excellent reply that Mark sent to the New York History
Hotline.  A pity that it's unlikely to do any good.

As a footnote to my original posting (under the heading "Barry, don't
read this message"):
        the Hotline says that Mlle Evelyn Claudine de Saint-Evremond
established a brothel, apparently before 1810 or not many years
after, "in a substantial house that still stands at 42 Bond Street."
Since reading this I have walked down Bond Street.  There is a
building indeed at #42 -- a 7 story loft building, presumably very
late 19th century or fairly early 20th, presumably intended for light
manufacturing.  Unaccustomed as I am to frequenting up-market
cat-houses, I must say that if this building held a fashionable
brothel in the early 19th century or since, I am a soused gurnet.
        It really seems that nothing in the hotline's paper on "the big
apple" is authentic.  I would love to participate in a legitimate NYC
history group, and it is deeply disappointing to see that this one is
anything but.

GAT