HOE and dialects texts

Wed Mar 22 01:51:45 UTC 2000

The best replacement for Wolfram's old book is his and Schilling-Estes'
_American English: Dialects and Variation_ (Blackwell, 1998).  I've used it
twice now and have had good luck with it, even though I have to cut out a
couple of chapters to make it fit in a quarter (it's perfect for a
semester).  I always worry about how much undergrads will comprehend of it,
but this year they especially impressed me in their exams and term projects
(informant-based analyses of selected dialects).  I supplement it with
readings (including "pop" pieces like nsp. interviews with Labov and
Wolfram), NPR discussions (two just last year), and audio and video
tapes.  I no longer use "The Story of English" at all; there are far better
ones available now.  I also have the students subscribe to the ADS list,
even if they just lurk (one student got into it with you all though, on
tschotchkes); they actually enjoyed it!