Dot-bombs; Gyros; Saganaki

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 22 06:04:18 UTC 2000

DOT-BOMBS

    One internet guy loses a mere $6.6 billion in two days and now everyone
thinks the sky is falling!
    From the NEW YORK POST, 22 March 2000, pg. 38, col. 5:

    The .coms are turning into .bombs.

GYROS

    From the NEWS TRIBUNE (Tacoma, Wash.)(DOW JONES), 1 July 1994, pg. F3:

    Uncle Stavros was the guy who invented gyros on a spindle.
    In Greece, they made gyros on wooden stakes.  They ran a stake through
lamb or beef and cooked it over an open fire.
    Uncle Stavros invented gyros.  Nobody else.  He was known as Stavros
Paris.  His real name was Stavros Paraskevoulakos.
    That's some name.  He was some guy.  He was from Tripolis, in southern
Greece.  He wasn't from right in Tripolis.  He came from some village, way
the hell out in the hills.  The only way to get out of town was on a goat.
     He wasn't my uncle.  Everybody called hum Uncle Stavros.  His restaurant
on Lawrence Avenue in Chicago was just Uncle Stavros.  I don't think the
place had a name or a sign.  It was just Uncle Stavros.  (...)  Uncle Stavros
died in 1983.

     Also see "Gyro?  Yeero?  Spell It Delicious at Souvlaki No. 1," SALT
LAKE CITY TRIBUNE, 3 July 1998, pg. E13:

     Consider the gyro, or "yeero," as it is also spelled here. (...) Yeero
is a made-up American word that sounds like the Greek word that means "to go
around."  It is apropos because the meat used in the gyros--a mix of ground
lamb and beef--is sculpted around a revolving spit.
     In 1972, when Greek Souvlaki No. 1 was started by Lee Paulos, no one was
selling gyros.  So Paulos invented the spelling, according to his son Leo,
who now runs the restaurant with his brother, Frank.
     "There wasn't a wrong or right way to spell it, from what they tell me.
I wasn't born then," Leo said.

     John Mariani writes that the first "gyro" citation is 1970.

SAGANAKI

     "A Greek Classic--The Parthenon's a Pillar of Good Taste," CHICAGO
SUN-TIMES, 23 April 1995, pg. 17:

     No, this is just part of the Grand Saganaki Flame Show at the Parthenon,
the popular restaurant in Greektown that in a few months will be celebrating
its 27th anniversary.  (...)  Let's get back to the saganaki, which the
Parthenon claims to have created (I'll go along with that).  If a count were
made of which restaurant in Greektown sells the most of this flaming cheese
creation, I venture to guess that the Parthenon would come out on top.  It
seems just about every customer orders it.
     A slab of kaseri, a mild sheep's milk cheese, or the aged, sharply
flavored kefalotiri is sauteed on a metal plate tableside, causing the
exterior to turn golden brown while the inside softens.  So it's nothing more
than fried cheese, but there is a certain panache to the dish, which has
become a symbol of Greek restaurants in this city.  (...)
    Gyros is not to be missed.  (So far, this is pretty much a primer on
basic Greek eating.)  The spit-roasted, thinly sliced, spicy combination of
lamb and beef is excellent, sort of a Greek version of Italian beef.  Slices
of onion accompany the gyros, but ask for tzatziki, a fresh and cooling
cucmber sauce that adds immensely to the gyros experience.