language/dialect again

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 22 20:26:21 UTC 2000

There's a reference I have handy (in a volume under review by distinguished
scholars who will have to remain nameless here) to the dictum in the form

"A language is a dialect that has an army and a navy"

attributed to Max Weinreich in his 1973 book History of the Yiddish
Language.  No page reference, and no context to make it clear whether this
was his own resigned commentary (ultimately reflecting on the arbitrariness
of the language/dialect distinction, which is how I've always thought of
it) or the aperçu of someone else.

larry