Bodega v. Mercado and Tienda

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Wed Mar 29 17:16:32 UTC 2000

I'll let the linguists weigh in on the official etymology, but from "street"
experience living in NY (and attending college/grad school on the upper west side
near Harlem), a bodega is a small, grocery/convenience store. I think I've even
seen the word on the store fronts near school or on the very upper east side
(Spanish Harlem). There is nothing urbane about them (i.e., a place to drink wine).
The Spanish speaking populations in these areas would be mainly from South America
and Puerto Rico.