Set-ups (was "Boilermakers")

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Mar 31 23:49:22 UTC 2000

Natalie Maynor wrote:

> Greg wrote:
> > In Mississippi where I grew up,  _set-ups_ were served in clubs that
> > could not sell hard liquor.
>
> >  Patrons would bring in their own
> > bottles, and then order coke (or some other soft drink) set-ups to
> > make a mixed drink.
>
> It just occurred to me that "brown-bagging" might have been a regional
> term since other places didn't have our (Mississippi's) liquor situation.
> Was it, or do all y'all know the term?

Well, in Texas the alcohol regulations seemed to be by county.  I don't remember
if the term "brown-bagging" was ever used, but I definitely heard "set-ups."  As
I recall, the set-ups cost almost as much as the equivalent alcoholic drink.
Harris County, where Houston is, used to have liquor restrictions such that you
would go to a restaurant and pay a special fee if you wanted to order drinks.
That fee was called a "club membership," I guess it was legal for private clubs
to serve alcoholic drinks.  This was about 30 years ago.