ADS-L Digest - 27 Apr 2000 to 28 Apr 2000 (#2000-120)

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon May 1 13:47:50 UTC 2000

Lynne writes:

Everything I've said above is about English alone--just because French
and English use the same alphabet doesn't mean that they have the same
vowels         [...]
<<<<<<

Agreed... except that they don't use the same alphabet. French has [pause to
write and count], I make it thirteen letters that English doesn't:

diacritic
acute               e
circumflex     a    e    i    o    u
grave          a    e              u
dieresis            e    i               y
cedilla    c

That's not relevant to the answer, of course.

And French is nearly as bad as English in this respect.

   Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist and Manager of Acoustic Data
         Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Dragon Systems, Inc.
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
                     (speaking for myself)