Red light district

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Mon May 1 20:05:01 UTC 2000

In Salzburg last summer I passed a whorehouse with signs in front in
German and French (but not English, if I recall correctly) promising
"maidens with tender hearts" within and with a genuine red light
burning over the door.  In a message a month or so ago regarding that
phpny story explaining "the big apple' that a NYC History website is
promulgating, I was obliged to admit that I was unfamiliar with
high-class cat-houses; this topic obliges me to admit that I am
equally unfamiliar with low-class cat-houses, because I have never
seen such a red light actually in use before.  It seems. however, to
be an internationally known symbol.

The joint was mentioned in whatever guide to Austria we were
carrying, so the address is available upon request.

GAT