vowels...

Tue May 2 17:00:18 UTC 2000

Actually, no, this isn't an example of the Southern Vowel Shift; rather,
it's one of many mergers going on in the Midland, the West (as David Bowie
said) and, to some extent, in the South.  Thus, hail and hell merge to hell
(vs. the Southern Shift diphthongizing of hell to hail), fill and feel
merge to fill, still and steel merge to still, pool and pull merge to pull,
etc.  In fact, I heard 'hail' pronounced like 'hell' just a few days ago in
a weather report from West Virginia.  But you're right; the written version
(signaled by * *, I presume) disambiguates, while the oral doesn't.  As I
recall, Mark's wife is from the "real" South, so her pronunciation to
'hail' exhibits the Southern (diphthongizing) shift.

Since I know Mai and I both used Wolfram and Schilling-Estes, I refer you
to pp. 70-71; however, W & S-E don't note the Midland usage for any of
their examples except Don/dawn.  See Labov's Phonological Atlas maps on his
homepage, and you'll see maps of these mergers locating them in the Midland
at various points; in Ohio, for example, they're on the western, southern,
and southeastern borders and moving in (I have two articles in the works on
these mergers based on data collected here in Athens County.)   They should
be in eastern Indiana too though, so maybe you have a student who can
pronounce the merger as 'hell'.