"Big L" (Knicks' Larry Johnson)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 2 22:03:19 UTC 2000

    New York Knicks basketball player Larry Johnson hit a big three-point
shot that helped close out the playoff series against the Toronto Raptors.
He made an "L" with his arm, and made a fist with this hand (like holding a
subway strap, I guess).  The other hand sort of punches this elbow.  He calls
this the "Big L."
   There's a Bill Gallo cartoon of it in the NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, 2 May 2000,
pg. 58.  A cartoon character says:

    Okay, I got it now!  A three-pointer!  Whew!  At first I though it was
one of those neighborhood salutes!

    An article, "'L' with war says Larry," has this in column two:

    Asked yesterday about his feeling about Johnson's "Big L" which he mocked
last season, Mourning replied: "Whatever works for him.  Every player does
their thing after they make big things.  I give out a yell."

    It probably won't match the "High Five," but you never know.