Caesar Salad

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu May 4 17:07:22 UTC 2000

Barry just posted:

GOURMET magazine began in 1941.  THE GOURMET COOKBOOK (volume 1) was
published in 1950 and THE GOURMET COOKBOOK (volume 2) was published in
1957.
The 1950 cookbook has "Caesar Salad" on page 150.  Although Caesar may
have
made this in 1924, I've not seen this in cookbooks before 1950.  I'll
check
GOURMET magazine.

Bill Bryson (_Made in America_, p. 189) says "The Caesar salad comes from
Tijuana. It was devised by a restaurateur names Caesar Cardini who, so the
story goes, whipped up the salad from leftover ingredients when a parts of
hungry guests descended on him late one night."

Verification, anyone? Would this have been around 1950?

Peter Richardson