America's 10 Most-Wanted Words

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Thu May 4 18:46:48 UTC 2000

Joseph Carson wrote:

> Or "enclitic?" ... It's already taken?  Oh, well ... - Joseph Carson

Reminds me of a joke - 4 Spanish graduate students of English were celebrating
their newly finished degrees with their professors at a party.  One of their
female professors, Professor White, had no children.  They all were trying to
come of with a word to describe Professor White's childlessness.

One of the students said, "I know, Professor White is unbearable!"

The others shook their heads, knowing that this was not correct.

Another student says, "Prof. White - she is impregnable!"

Again the others muttered in disagreement.

A third says "Wait, I know.  Prof. White is inconceivable!"

Everyone thought for a minute, but then decided that this too was incorrect.

Finally, the smartest of all the students smiled and said, "My friends, I
believe I have come up with the word.  Professor White - she is inscrutable!"