important suggestion re ILOVEYOU virus

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri May 5 09:31:22 UTC 2000

on 5/5/00 8:48 AM, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:

> Another important suggestion is to have a Mac.
>
> Rima
>

>From what  I understand, it's a macro virus.  That is one thing Macs are not
immune to (speaking from experience).  Macs can quite easily execute
scripts, which I think is what the love bug is.

Macs may, in fact, be immune.  But don't allow yourself to fall into a false
sense of security.

If Macintosh is a type of rain coat, and a rain coat is one of the thousands
of euphemisms for a condom, it doesn't necessarily follow that you won't
catch anything :-).

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death