Time and the City

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon May 8 16:24:20 UTC 2000

Larry Horn writes:

But it has been a standard (and often criticized) practice of those living
in the "outer" boroughs of New York City to refer to "going in to the City"
when they visit Manhattan.  Specifically midtown, downtown, or lower,
though--I suspect a trip from Yankee Stadium to my old neighborhood of
Washington Heights or the nearby Polo Grounds would not have been described
as a trip into the City.  We probably talked about this practice at some
point in the last years of the previous century.
<<<<<

Not us, surely, but our linguistic predecessors. :-)~\
     (grin, tongue stuck out, and asymmetric beard)

-- Mark