Hacker vs. Cracker

Joseph Carson samizdata at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed May 10 04:44:23 UTC 2000

Or else all the "Crackers" down Georgia 'way!  One last twist on the
"inscrutable" tread -- "she must be feckless".

Best, Joseph Carson

"A. Vine" wrote: Grant Barrett wrote: On Tue, 09 May 2000 11:38:44 -0700, A. Vine
wrote:  Gee, I must be completely out of touch, heads down creating software
products, because I've never heard the term "cracker" amongst my coworkers in
that context.  This must be a media term, or a non-Silicon Valley term, or
something.  Maybe us old folks are left out of this terminology creation thing -
"Sssh, here comes someone over 30!" Grant Barrett: "I'm not sure which usage
you're talking about, Andrea. Cracker as a  replacement for a hacker-programmer?
Or cracker as a replacement for hacker-criminal?" Andrea Vine: _Any_ use of
"cracker", apart from "cheese and crackers", "firecracker", and possibly "safe
cracker" (but only in the movies).