Black and tan; shandy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 10 14:03:47 UTC 2000

Bruce Dykes writes:

>>My understanding is that a black and tan would be a(n Irish) hyponym of a
>>half and half, and is restricted in the way Lynne describes.  If it's half
>>Guiness stout and half Harp lager, it's a black and tan as well as a half
>>and half; if it's light and dark Beck's it's only the latter.  It's 90
>>degrees as I write this and I'd settle for either.  Or for just a half.
>

>I understand the canonical black and tan to be Guinness Stout+Bass Ale, and
>the general form being restricted to a stout&ale combo, with the copper of
>ales being closer to tan than the pale yellows of lagers.
>
>But I'm certainly open to correction.

No, you're right.  I was thinking Bass Ale when I wrote Harp.  (Gotta go
quench those burned-out synapses.)

>Other fun entries in the half beer beverage list:
>
>Snakebite (UK): half lager, half (hard) cider. (my personal choice is
>Guinness Harp, but American macrobrew Pilsners do nicely as well)
>Ratler (DE): half beer (unsure of restrictions), half 7UP.
>Shandy (UK): less than half beer, topped off with lemon-lime soda.

often described as half lemonade, but that presupposes English lemonade,
which is somewhat closer to lemon-lime soda than to U.S. style lemonade.
According to one web site (via a www.google.com search),
=========================
Shandy is great!  It is an unusual idea for
beer from England.  One of my uncles made it
for me, obviously figuring that an American
wouldn't be able to handle straight English
beer!  You mix good beer with best quality
lemonade!  Be brave and keep reading, beer
fans.  This is really good.  The proportions
are half and half or one part of one and two
parts of the other.  It is a very user-
friendly recipe.  This is terrific when it
is really hot.  Try it in July or August
just after you have finished mowing the
lawn.  It has just the right tang and thirst
quenching punch.  It really does taste best
during hot weather.  Don't think about the
fact that is has been traditionally a
little, old ladies drink and just enjoy.
Another poster notes that shandy is sold in cans in Indonesia, where it's
the most widely available alcoholic beverage around.  Book your tickets,
Barry!

larry