Hacker vs. Cracker

Paul Harm pkh at OFFTHEPAGE.COM
Thu May 11 14:24:14 UTC 2000

The most common designation for an unskilled cracker/hacker that I've heard
is a "script kiddie", and is used mostly by hackers/crackers to deride
unskilled hackers/crackers.  The first time I came into contact with this
term was around the release of the SATAN security testing program, which
was in 1995.

The "script" in this, doesn't actually refer to a virus, but to a small
program (a "script") written by someone else to exploit a security flaw in
a particular piece of software.  Often this involves no changes whatsoever
to the program.  Hence the "kiddie"--even a child can break into a system
using someone else's script.

I've only seen "scripter" used in the sense of "one who writes small
programs for web sites."

Paul

--
Paul Harm
Technology Innovator, Off the Page Productions