sweet home Chicago

Frank Abate Abatefr at CS.COM
Thu May 11 14:54:05 UTC 2000

I think Johnson actually says:

Back to the land of (the?) California,
Sweet home Chicago

. . . at least in the lyrics he uses on the recording, as opposed to what is printed on the CD insert in the 2-CD set of Johnson's songs.

I once asked Fred Cassidy about this very usage, and he speculated (completely off the top of his head) that California might be being used allusively for a land of fun, promise, etc.

There are a number of interesting things in the lyrics of Johnson, which are from the early/mid 1930s (for the songs that he wrote).  In this case, the printed lyrics are not always reliable, as a close listen will show.

Frank Abate