"Polish only" law

Barry Popik bapopik at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 11 19:52:52 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from Karlovy Vary.  Something's seriously wrong with my
AOL account, and it's not this Czech keyboard.  When I sign in, I get the
same messages I've already read.  I can't send mail, read old mail, or read
sent mail.  How do I tell AOL?

POLISH ONLY

   THe AP ran a story on May 10th about Polish-only in Poland:

   A law forbidding the use of foreign languages in Polish commercials and
leaflets went into effect Tuesday as Poland seeks to strengthen the use of
the native language as foreign influence increases in the country.
   (...)  Since the fall of communism in 1989, Poland has been flooded with
foreign-language names and terminology that eventually took root in everyday
language.  Pole now say they buy goods at the "shopping center" instead of
"centrum handlowe," and work in buildings called "tower" or "plaza," instead
of the "biuro," or office.

MISC.

SPA WAFERS--One place advertises "The original Czech spa wafers with
filling."  They're a specialty here.  They're called simply "spa wafers."

PANSY--This flower is "little stepmother" in Czech.

DAISY--This flower is "seven different beauties" in Czech.

   Coffees in Art Cafe here:
CAFFEE HAWAII (cocos)
CAFFEE ROMME (curacao)
CAFFEE PARIS (cointreau)