sweet home Chicago

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Fri May 12 02:01:08 UTC 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Greg Pulliam wrote:

> California does run north-south, and is on the west side of Chicago,
> which is largely African-American today.  I don't know about this
> area's demographic makeup at the time "Sweet Home Chicago" was
> written, though.

Like many Chicago streets, California runs for several miles and goes
through several neighborhoods, including African-American, Mexican,
Italian (if Little Italy goes as far west as i think it does, I may be
wrong on this one), Puerto Rican, and Korean, to name a
few. It extends further north and further south than what is considered
merely west side, and parts of it, especially near Logan Square, have
become quite gentrified.

--- Steve K.