Big Apple ice cream?

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Fri May 12 09:55:50 UTC 2000

Barry Popik said:

> "BIG APPLE" DESSERT
>
>    I suggested this flavor to Ben & Jerry's years ago.  From the menu of the Grandhotel Pupp:
>
> BIG APPLE--apple ice cream with nuts, vanilla ice-cream raisins, wetted with  rum and all that decorated > with stick of puff-pastry and apple

I've been recommending another apple-flavored concoction for years: a
drinkable made on a base of carbonated water and apple flavoring or
apple juice.

(Why call it a "drinkable"?  Because I don't want to return discussion
to the long list of variants that includes the generics "soda", "pop",
"soda pop", "coke", "dope", "seltzer", "soft drink", "lemonade",
"refresco", "tonic", "fizzwater", or whatever it's called in your old
home town.)

Apple-flavored "Sidral" is one of the most successful brands of
carbonated beverages in Mexico. Their closest competitors sell
"Manzanitas" (translation: "little apples"). Mineral waters from the spa
at Tehuacan, Puebla are sold throughout Mexico, and apple is one of
their more popular flavors. All of these variations around an apple
theme make an enjoyable change from cola, Un-cola, and the citrus
family.

Why isn't there an apple-flavored fizzwater in general distribution
north of the Mexican border?

-- mike salovesh                    <salovesh at niu.edu>
PEACE !!!