"Schivi"

Peter Farruggio pfarr at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri May 12 15:22:33 UTC 2000

In the Southern Italian dialects of New York City, "schifoso" has been
used  (as a noun) to describe a trickster, hustler, liar, dishonest or
insincere person.  3rd  and 4th generation Italian-Americans with weak
command of the Italian language used "skeeve" for a slippery character, or
a cheat.  I've heard some use it with just a generally negative
connotation, wherein it loses it's specific reference to cheating or tricking.

Pete Farruggio