homonyms (fwd)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri May 12 16:06:14 UTC 2000

I guess this isn't precisely the right list for this question, but maybe it
will find someone who has an answer or a reference.

Peter Mc.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Wed, May 10, 2000 12:39 PM -0500rrom: "Patrick N. McGraw"
<pmcgraw at alleg.edu>
To: "Peter A. McGraw" <pmcgraw at linfield.edu>
Subject: homonyms

  Has anyone studied the frequency of typos where one homonym is substituted
for another?
I was just writing a message about the lottery and noticed I had written
"some people eventually regret having one,"  instead of "...having won."
I also mix up "there" and "their" sometimes in typing, in spite of being
well aware of the distinction in spelling.  The fact this happens must say
something about the way written language is processed, it seems.

And BTW,  Just now I started to write "lootery" instead of "lottery."

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu