"Wife-beater" as article of clothing

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 12 17:22:06 UTC 2000

Amanda,

This topic was discussed on the list not too long ago.  Try the term
"wife-beater" on the ADS-L archives search engine at:

http://www.americandialect.org/adslarchive.shtml

There's some interesting stuff there, but I don't know if anyone ever got to
the actual origins.  Someone suggested Stanley and Stella Kowalski from
Tennessee Williams' A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE; I think that's a good starting
possibility.

bob