sweet home Chicago

Frank Abate Abatefr at CS.COM
Mon May 15 15:05:13 UTC 2000

Replying to Jerry Cohen's:

Johnson lived most of his life in the Mississippi delta, I believe.  I'm not sure if he was born there.  From what I have read, his bio details are a bit vague.  No one was sure, e.g., what his exact age was.  Anyway, in other songs he sings about places in the Deep South, which was where he spent much if not most of his life.  As I recall, he recorded his songs mostly in Texas.  I don't know if he was EVER in Chicago.  Not having the CDs at hand, perhaps someone else could see if Johnson wrote the song, or the lyrics, or just was covering someone else's song.

That still does not answer definitively what was meant by "California".  The context in which it is used makes it seem odd that it could have been referring to just a street, unless that street was truly renowned (locally, at least) as a center of fun or excitement.  Do you Chicagoans know this?

Frank Abate