Halusky

Barry Popik bapopik at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 16 16:28:52 UTC 2000

    Greetings from the High Tatras mountains in the Slovak Republic.  Poland
is just across the river.
    Yesterday's post got destroyed--the internet went down as I sent it.
This is the fourth computer I'm on, and I was just trying to get the Hotmail
screen.
    There are many Slovaks in Pittsburgh; the most famous was Andy Warhol.
    I'll be in Bratislava on Thursday and home on Friday at midnight.

CZECH REPUBLIC 5, SLOVAK REPUBLIC 3

   THe square in Bratislava was packed with people watching the game on a
large screen.  "If Slovakia wins, this town will be destroyed," my tour
guide said.  If you win, why don't you destroy the OTHER guy's town?
   It was 4-1 Czech Republic.  Slovak Republic score, 4-2.
   "Na na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye."
   Slovak Republic score, 4-3.
   "We are the champions, my friends."
   Czech Republic score, 5-3.
   Silence.
   I told my Czech guide that we should run in the square shouting, "LOSERS!
  SLOVAKS ARE LOSERS!"
   My Czech guide didn't think that was a good idea.

HALUSKY

   Halusky (halooshky) is the Slovak national dish.  "Bryndzove halusky" is
"little dumpling with 'bryndza' cheese (and bacon)."  Sheep cheese is used
on potato, with bits of bacon on top.
   I haven't done OED research on this food yet.

EUROWOOD

   FINANCIAL TIMES, May 13-14, 2000, pg. 7, col. 3:

   "They might be in the process of creating Eurowood," says Colin Tennant,
who heads the European media team at Warburg Dillon Read.

FRANKENFISH/SUPER SALMON (continued)

  FINANCIAL TIMES, May 13-14, 2000, weekend section, pg. 14:

_Frankenfish: do you want to eat it?_

DANCE PLAY/DANCICAL (continued)

  CONTACT was nominated for six Tony awards.  The FINANCIAL TIMES calls it a
"dance play," not a "dancical."

MISC.

MOTOREST--A place for motorists to rest.  Is this English?  Slovak?

PAREK V ROHLIKU--Usually just "hot dog," but one placed gave this name.

BRONX--A bad street in Brno, Czech Republic, is called "Bronx."  Why Bronx,
I asked my tour guide.  He told me that it was from the Bronx, New York,
which doesn't have a great reputation.  Hey, I resemble that remark (as Norm
Crosby would say)!

RED SQUARES--People are allowed to sell products in certain approved market
areas only.  However, certain Russians were selling products in other,
unapproved places of the Slovak Republic.  These were called "Red Squares."