High Tatras food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 17 12:55:25 UTC 2000

   Greetings again from the High Tatras, Slovak Republic.  Tonight I have Gypsy Dancing with my dinner.  The gypsies are a big issue--in a nation of 5 million, they number 500,000.  Everyone is having trouble economically, and the gypsies are resented (rightly or wrongly) as people who don't work and who steal (crops, etc.).
   Some sweets I spotted include: FLORIDA TORTA (with pineapple?), TUNEL (a "tunnel" is a "log" cake in the States),  KARAMEL VETERNIK ("windmill"), and SPICKA ("arrowhead").
   These items were on the menu of a restaurant in the High Tatras where I ate last night (Hotel Smokovec, which had the items in English):

TOMATO SOUP GORDON--cognac, cinnamon
SHEPHERD'S TATRA SOUP--leg of porc, chilli pepper, cabbage, lettuce
DEVIL'S BREAD, COLD GARNISH--bread with egg, chilli pepper, red pepper, cucumber
TATRA TOAST, COLD GARNISH--meat or turkey, cheese, mushrooms, ketchup
SCALLOP OF TURKEY "HAWAI," COLD GARNISH--breast of turkey, pineapple, cheese, cranberry
BREAST OF TURKEY "DIANA," COLD GARNISH--asparagus, cheese, ham
LEG OF CHICKEN "AMERICAN STYLE," COLD GARNISH--bacon, ketchup, corn, wine
LEG OF CHICKEN "LESNICKY STYLE," COLD GARNISH--sauteed potatoes, onion, mushrooms, wine, green pea
SAUTE OF DEER "FALSE JAEGERMEISTER," COLD GARNISH--bacon, mushrooms, plum-jam, wine, cream
MEDALLIONS "HUNTER STYLE," COLD GARNISH--leg of deer, mushrooms, ketchup, cranberry, wine
TATRA SALAD--cabbage, carrot
COFFEE BERLINSKA--griotte liqueur, whipped cream
COFFEE ALZIRSKA--egg liqueur, whipped cream
ESTERHAZY PANCAKES--pancakes, icre cream, chocolate, walnuts, whipped cream
"LESANA" (house specialty)--stewed bilberries, ice-cream, cream, lemon, biscuits

MISC.:  In the magnificent natural caves outside of Brno, "stalagtites" were called "straws," or "macarroni."