diphthong

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 17 23:16:21 UTC 2000

Erin McKean writes:

>I think it can be explained by the fact that "dipthong" is one of the
>funniest-sounding words in English. I'd bet that it would get a laugh in
>any fourth-grade classroom in the country.
>
>Erin McKean
>editor at verbatimmag.com

Not to be a prescriptivist about it,  but I've always spelled it with a
-ph- (as below) and pronounced that -ph- as an [f].  This makes it somewhat
less funny-sounding, I fear, and also less likely to serve as a plausible
euphemism for 'dipshit'.  Perhaps the processing of it as "dipthong" is the
first step on the route Lynne cites below.

larry