Brits seek favourite

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri May 19 10:32:20 UTC 2000

Rima said:

> This brings to mind a movie version of Cinderella with Leslie Caron - The Glass Slipper.
> The fairy godmother was an eccentric lady (Estelle Winwood, I think) who had favo(u)rite
> words.  If I remember correctly, she was particularly fond of windowsill, pickle relish,
> & apple dumpling.

This reminds me of my high school English teacher (9th & 11th grade) who insisted that
"superfluous" is the most beautiful word in the English language, and made us chant it over
and over.  "Cacophony" was her 2nd favorite.  She seemed to be particularly fond of 4
syllable words with the stress on the 2nd syllable.

Lynne