Velvet Revolution; Czechoslovak Cookbook

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 21 23:16:13 UTC 2000

VELVET REVOLUTION (continued)

     From VACLAV HAVEL: A POLITICAL TRAGEDY IN SIX ACTS (1999; 2000 in U.S.)
by John Keane, pg. 351:

     Among the many paradoxes of the Velvet Revolution --its name was drawn
from the 1960s New York experimental rock band, the Velvet Underground...

     Hm.  The PRAGUE POST said that this was an urban myth!
     BLUE VELVET (1986), a classic film by David Lynch, probably just then
released in Europe.  No one's mentioned that.

CZECHOSLOVAK COOKBOOK

    Many classic cookbooks are being reprinted.  I found THE CZECHOSLOVAK
COOKBOOK (1965; reprinted 1988), by Joza Brizova, on a New York City
bookshelf at my local Border's.
    "Halousky" is not in the book.  Not even "sheep cheese" is mentioned.
The online OED doesn't have "halousky," either.
    I just ordered BEST OF SLOVAK COOKING--another reprint that's available
on Amazon.  That's gotta have it.