southmore

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at GW.BSU.EDU
Mon May 22 14:02:39 UTC 2000

My wife, who grew up around Toledo and has an M.Div., also says, or used to say, southmore.  It's always struck me as a strange modification.

Herb Stahlke

>>> AAllan at AOL.COM 05/22/00 08:55AM >>>
Speaking of ph- words, just this past weekend at Commencement time I heard an
educated (well, he went to law school) alumnus of a small liberal arts
college in central Illinois (not my college) speak of second-year college
students as
"southmores."
  There's a colleague in the history department at my small college who has
that same pronunciation. One man is in his 50s and one in his 60s, and both
came from well-educated families in central Illinois.
  I had thought my colleague's pronunciation was idiosyncratic till I head
the second instance. Anybody know about this?
- Allan Metcalf