Kentucky Supreme Court decision

Herbert F. W. Stahlke hstahlke at GW.BSU.EDU
Thu May 25 21:55:08 UTC 2000

Friday evening May 19, I heard a commentary on All Things Considered on
a Kentucky Supreme Court decision that I've been trying to follow up
on--at least I think it was Kentucky.  The appeal involved a drug case
in which the suspect was the only African-American in a house with other
people, and the police officer heard a voice making a drug deal.  He
identified the voice as that of an African-American speaker.  On the
basis of this testimony the suspect was arrested and convicted.  The
case came to the state supreme court where the testimony was allowed and
the conviction upheld.  I've checked the NPR site on this and the
Kentucky supreme court site, but I haven't been able to find any further
information.  Can anyone provide more information about the case?  I'd
like to use it in my language and society class, but I don't want to do
so without documentation.

Thanks,

Herb Stahlke