QUERY: This one's gonna be fun...

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Thu May 25 20:37:48 UTC 2000

I guess "what constitutes first base" should have been part of the
question. According to Tom Wolfe, today's first base is what I (and my
mother) would call petting. Smooching and groping and such.

I guess what I am looking for is, what is it called when you go to a party,
get snot-slinging drunk (or not) and start kissing and groping some person
whose name you don't necessarily know.

At my University (the little liberal arts one) and neighbouring U (the big-
still-private-but-not-liberal-arts one) in Texas in the early 90's - we
called it scamming. And it could mean anything from the scenario I just
described to having to do "the walk of shame" and straggling in after
"spending the night."

Katy Miller