New York Times endorses plagiarism and factual errors (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 25 23:20:19 UTC 2000

    This is a letter I received today:

Dear Mr. Popik,
    I'm sorry to be so slow replying to your letter, but I don't think the
Book Review is the appropriate place to register your complaint.  If I
understand you right, what's at issue here is not really plagiarism but,
rather, a failure of the authors to properly acknowledge sources.  In any
case, neither the Book Review nor our reviewer is in any position to evaluate
the truth of your claims, nor would it be of much use to our readers if we
could.  Your complaint is really with the authors and their publisher, and I
suggest you take it up with them.

Sincerely yours,
Charles McGrath
Book Review Editor

   I also mentioned that the photo above the book review was not "Miss
Brooklyn"--and not even entirely Audrey Munson.  No mention of that in this
letter!
    If you're going to write a letter to me (after two months), address all
of my claims!  If I were to do that in my job as a parking judge, I'd be
fired!
   Fact is, he's NOT sorry he was so slow in replying!  He had no intention
of replying at all.  I made an issue of it.
   It's not plagiarism to take the work of a historian and pass it off as
your own?  Work that was featured in a New York Times article?
   "Failure to properly acknowledge sources" is not plagiarism???????
   If "neither the Book Review nor our reviewer is in any position to
evaluate the truth of your claims," THE BOOK SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN REVIEWED!
An author's claim is that he/she/they are the authors!  The Book Review made
an evaluation when it reviewed the book and praised the research!
   So much for that apology!
   So much for correcting even obvious errors!
   Not fit to print!  Our readers wouldn't care!
   I have also asked carpall at nytimes.com why "the Big Apple" wasn't corrected
in the late Convention & Visitors Bureau President Charles Gillett's
obituary, why my name was misspelled in the NY Times and never corrected, why
the NY Times never ran a story on "the Big Apple" (its reporters used my work
on Good Day New York Oct. 22, 1997--see Nexis), and why it is OK to use my
work for free without a disclaimer on Times Digital (Abuzz).
   There's been no response to all that.
   I can never say enough bad things about New York City or The New York
Times.

--Barry Popik
Thursday, May 25, 2000